Candidates with an inclination towards critical thinking, analysis of data, and problem solving skills in context of a country’s economy will find the career of Financial/Economic Analyst appealing. Analysts collect, interpret, and create reports of economic data, and use the same to forecast future economic performance. They operate in businesses, government agencies, and also in think tank services for the general public to access. Job openings for this career are largely available in India’s rapidly growing cities, such as Ahmedabad, Pune, Mumbai, Kolkata, Chennai, Kanpur, and Bangalore.
Most graduate students with a bachelor’s degree in commerce (B.Com) will start in financial careers, such as financial analysis, bank-oriented careers, and in financial firms. Securing a career as an economist usually requires that a student obtains a master’s degree in the subject. The following steps are pursued by a student interested in studying for economics and finance in India:
- Students must complete their 10+2 with mathematics and advisably some subjects in finance, accounting, commerce, etc. This is available in the CBSE curriculum through the ‘MEC’ (Math, Economics, and Commerce) stream.
- Candidates can either apply for a CA (Chartered Accountancy) course, or for colleges offering the Bachelors in Commerce (B.Com) degree.
- Candidates are advised to intern at a financial organization to gain practical understanding of growth in the financial businesses. Training in communicative skills will largely help candidates in their application process for internships and jobs.
- If interested, they may then pursue their M.Com (Master of Commerce) or do an MBA (Master of Business and Administration) in finance.
The following schools in India are well reputed for their programs in financial analysis:
- Narsee Monjee Institute of Management, Mumbai
- International Management Institute, New Delhi
- SP Jain Institute of Management and Research, Mumbai
- Xavier Institute of Management, Bhubaneshwar
- ICFAI Business School, Pune/Mumbai/Ahmedabad/Bangalore/Chennai
More information on financial or economic analysis careers in India is available here.
Candidates interested in studying abroad may consider the following schools: